How to Lead People in the Baptism of the Holy Spirit
NOTE: Ministers, Christian workers, lay people please feel free to copy and use this outline to lead others
I. Scriptural Foundation
A. What is it? Imbuement of supernatural power for service (Luke 24:49).
Tongues is to build you up, and activate the other 8 gifts to minister to others.
B. Promised by: John the Baptist: Luke 3:16
Jesus: John 14:16, Acts 1:8, Mark 16:17
Peter: Acts 2:38, 39
God desires our spiritual worship John 4:23
The Holy Spirit is the only member of the Godhead resident on earth today
He came to reproduce the supernatural ministry of Jesus through believer
C. Received by Christians after salvation
1. Acts 2:4 Day of Pentecost
2. Acts 8:14-17 Samaria (what did Simon see?)
3. Acts 10:44-46 Cornelius’s house (before water baptism)
4. Acts 19:1-6 Ephesian disciples
5. John 14:17 World cannot receive (only believers)
6. Luke 11:13 Father will give to them that ask (guaranteed if He’s your Father), when you get saved you receive Jesus, this speaks of another experience when you ask your Father for the Holy Spirit.
D. What good are tongues?
1. Acts 10:45-46 Apostles evidence
2. 1st Corinthians 14:2 Edify (build up) yourself
3. Jude 1:20 Builds you up on faith, keeps you in the love of God
4. Romans 8:26 Makes intercession when we don’t know how to pray
5. 1st Corinthians 14:17 Gives thanks well
6. 1st Corinthians 12:10 Tongues + interpretation = prophecy, edifies, exhort, comfort
7. 1st Corinthians 14:14 Enables your spirit to pray
8. John 4:23 Enables you to worship God in the spirit (1st Corinthians 14:15)
E. We’re all exhorted to “pray in tongues”
1. Definition: 1st Corinthians 14:14 if I pray in unknown tongue my spirit prays
2. Ephesians 6:18 Put on the whole armor of God, praying always… in the spirit
3. Jude 1:20-21 Build up yourselves on your most holy faith praying in the Holy Ghost, keep yourselves in the love of God.
Summary: without tongues you…
Can’t be sure you have the Baptism in the Holy Spirit, no scriptural evidence.
No supernatural power for service.
Your spirit can’t pray (it is mute, dumb, no voice).
You don’t know how to pray in puzzling situations effectively.
Your worship, prayer and thanksgiving are limited to your mental realm only.
You can’t edify yourself, build up yourself on faith, or keep in the love of God.
You can’t worship God in the spirit as He desires.
You aren’t desiring spiritual gifts like scripture commands.
You are disobedient to the 2 commands to pray in the spirit.
II. How to Receive the Baptism in the Holy Spirit with Tongues
A. Understand the Holy Spirit won’t do it all for you, you have a part to play.
Notice the miracles of the Bible had man’s part and God’s part.
1. Old Testament examples:
Moses held out the rod – God divided the Red Sea
Namaan had to dip 7 times in the river Jordan, God healed his leprosy.
Elijah prepared sacrifice – God’s fire fell.
2. New Testament examples:
Jesus said “rise, take up your bed and walk.”
“stretch out your withered hand.”
“go wash in the pool of Siloam” and sight was restored.
Peter got out of the boat and then walked on the water.
B. God doesn’t want to override your free will or He’d just save and fill everybody.
The only way your free will can stay intact is if you cooperate with God.
1. You had to cooperate with God to get saved and follow Jesus.
2. We are to “stir up the gift” that is in us (2nd Timothy 1:6).
3. Tongues operate by a choice of your will (1st Corinthians 14:15)
4. You can’t guide a car till it starts rolling. You speak, God guides.
C. Your part is to form syllables that are not English and trust God to guide you after you start rolling. On the Day of Pentecost “they began” to speak…
1. Two kinds of people never speak in tongues:
a. Those who won’t open their mouth and step out in faith (expecting God to do it all).
b. Those who say “Praise God” etc in English, can’t speak 2 languages at the same time (must stop English to start in tongues).
D. Before you pray for someone get them to agree that they will do their part and form non-English syllables. Don’t pray until they understand and agree, loud enough to hear.
E. Explain to them not to expect great emotions (that’s up to God and individual’s temperament).
A gift of $1,000,000 would be just as valuable if it came in a brown envelope or with great fanfare. The value of the gift is in using it. Tongues will prove just as valuable to you whether it comes with emotion or very little emotion. The anointing will be greater at times of special need when the Spirit is moving stronger that at other times.
III. Prayer for the Infilling of the Holy Spirit
A. Have them repeat after you something like this:
1. Father, I acknowledge that Jesus is my Savior and Lord.
2. I renounce and ask forgiveness for dabbling in the occult.
3. I now ask You to fill me with Holy Spirit, according to Your Word, with my speaking in tongues.
4. I agree to step out and cooperate with You and do my part, trusting You.
5. I now thank You for it in advance, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
B. Pray in your language and encourage them to step out in tongues and going faster (speed helps get them out of the mental realm).
Reassure them and encourage them as they cooperate “that’s it, keep going…” etc.
Comment: Most people have no difficulty receiving the Baptism in the Holy Spirit with their prayer language if they are properly instructed. Difficult cases usually have not understood their part in stepping out, and have waited in vain for the Holy Spirit to do it all for them. Proper instruction is so important that this is a good rule to follow: If you have 20 minutes to spend getting someone baptized in the Holy Spirit, spend the first 15 minutes instructing them, and the last 5 minutes praying and that should be sufficient in most cases. Problems occur when most of the time is pent praying without proper instruction.
C. Understanding Past Misconceptions and Wrong Teachings
Background: The Holy Spirit fell with great power at Azusa Street in 1906. God was moving to get the Church back on the right track regarding the Holy Spirit and gifts so needed in the last days before Jesus’ return. Those early Pentecostals had very little teaching to help them understand what they had or what to do with it.
Sometimes they misunderstood and misinterpreted what they were experiencing and formulated unscriptural teachings based on their experiences, not the Word.
The Holy Spirit fell at first with such power and anointing that they taught some error, such as:
1. They taught others to tarry and seek till they got a great feeling.
a) The Bible never mentions tarrying for the Holy Spirit after the Day of Pentecost, or basing it on feelings. The other 3 accounts in the book of Acts they all received without tarrying and there was no mention of feelings.
b) The Holy Spirit arrived once for all, there is no need to tarry anymore.
c) If we took the command to tarry literally for today, we’d have to go to Jerusalem, because Jesus said, “Tarry here in Jerusalem.”
2. They taught you could never speak in tongues without a great feeling or anointing.
a) They overlooked the 2 commands to pray in tongues “always” as an act of your will like Paul said he did in 1st Corinthians 14:15.
b) They neglected to “stir up the gift” as in 2nd Timothy 1:6 and they practiced waiting for the Holy Spirit. They waited for the Holy Spirit to come and stir them up, which wasted much time. They lost much of the value of tongues, not realizing it was a spiritual prayer language to be used regularly.
c) The Bible teaches to base our spiritual walk on faith and obedience to God’s Word, not on changing emotional experiences..
d) If we based our salvation on feelings, we’d feel saved one day and lost the next. It would depend on our moods and our spiritual growth would be hindered.
e) Likewise, we can’t grow in the Spirit-filled life if based on feelings.
3. The true scriptural method for receiving the Baptism of the Holy Spirit has been proven out over time
a) We can lead believers to receive the Holy Spirit and cooperate with Him to speak in tongues immediately. God always does His part and no one walks away disappointed (if they’re born-again and a sincere seeker).
b) We encourage believers to pray in tongues daily and let feelings come or go. Just obey the Word in faith for the best possible results.
4. Many people have been wrongly instructed to go by feelings with the end result being they have never received a fully developed prayer language.
a) They only had faith to receive 4 or 5 syllables at first and they never progressed beyond that. They repeat the same syllables from memory at time of special feelings or anointing received. They missed the whole purpose of being Spirit-filled and of letting the Holy Spirit guide their language as they grow and develop in it.
b) They need to be instructed in the Bible principle of man’s part and God’s part so they can flow with the Holy Spirit as they pray in tongues on a regular basis.
c) Note: Never instruct someone that God will only give them a few syllables. This will hinder their faith and get them stuck in a rut. God wants everyone to have a fluent prayer language and pray in the spirit with the Holy Spirit continually guiding as they yield their speech to Him. They need to be encouraged to continue to expand their tongues vocabulary (and not just a few syllables at first).
5. It is wonderful to enjoy godly spiritual feelings and God blesses us with many experiences, but only God’s Word is our sure foundation. We can all be thankful for the excellent teaching available today to help us avoid pitfalls, walk in the light ourselves, and teach others as well. God’s way always: 1) lines up with the Bible. 2) His way works right the first time. 3)His way produces good fruit.
IV. Possible Hindrances
A. If they can’t seem to step out and flow…
1. Do they fear the supernatural? Explain away misconception.
2. Are they really saved? May need to be more sure here.
3. Are they living in known sin? Must be willing to repent and give it up.
4. Do they feel guilty and unworthy? Help them get their forgiveness.
5. Are they being pushed into the Baptism in the Holy Spirit by someone else? They aren’t really ready until they really want it themselves.
6. Have they been heavily involved in the occult or false religion? Cast out the blocking spirit.
B. If they still won’t cooperate at all, maybe they’re shy and scared in front of others. Encourage them follow these instructions alone later.
V. Last Instructions After They Receive
A. Explain that you can start and stop tongues at will, like a water faucet on and off. Like Paul says in 1st Corinthians 14:15 and the Holy Spirit is always ready to pray.
B. Obey the scriptures and pray in the spirit always (as in Ephesians 6:18) everyday.
1. Supernatural feelings will come in times of special anointing.
2. Don’t wait for the Spirit to move. Stir up the gift (prayer tongue) (2nd Timothy 1:6).
C. The more you pray in the spirit every day…
1. The more you will be built up spiritually (edified).
2. The easier it is to walk in the spirit.
3. The easier it is to be led by the Spirit.
4. The more likely to enjoy special anointing and boldness.
D. You can direct your praying in the spirit to special needs.
1. Picture the person or situation and pray in the spirit for that one thing. The Holy Spirit will guide you with exactly what is needed.
2. You can also pray in the spirit without picturing anything special and let the Holy Spirit direct, you might be praising God at times and interceding for others at times.
3. In emergencies or times of danger pray in the spirit constantly.
a. It’s like tuning into God’s station and turning up the volume.
b. The Holy Spirit can lead and direct you more clearly.
c. Whatever the emergency, He can pray through you to meet the need of the moment.
d. The Holy Spirit needs a vessel to move through – you can be that vessel or agency in the earth.
4. Praise God and sing in the spirit at will to worship God in the spirit.